Nov 1 ’06
TWS/Graph From SEGUS
Tivoli Workload scheduler (TWS) from IBM/TIVOLI is a popular and widely used job scheduling application for both z/OS and distributed system environments. But IT professionals know that in order to maximize its potential, TWS can be augmented and simplified by leading-edge products from third-party suppliers.
Enter TWS/Graph™ from SEGUS—a cost-effective and intelligently designed tool that adds key reporting functionality, graphing/flowchart capabilities, and a logical Graphic User Interface (GUI) to the text-based TWS product. TWS/Graph streamlines and speeds up TWS administration, maintenance, and performance across the board.
Optimized to run on z/OS and distributed systems to facilitate end-to-end scheduling, TWS/Graph reduces complexity and gives users access to knowledge that was either previously unavailable or extremely difficult to get to. When scheduling is both turbo-charged and visualized with TWS/Graph, problems become easier to solve, overall quality is increased, and errors are greatly reduced.
TWS/Graph Key Functionality and Benefits easy to install and use, TWS/Graph is extremely secure and reliable. Its many features include:
- Forecasting: create a graphical current plan for any future period
- Internet capabilities: Distribute netplans and TWS documentation via Internet or company intranet
- Clustering: operations can be grouped according to their applications, owner IDs, valid to, etc.
- Time axis: Netplans can be graphically presented on a time axis—either planned or actual
- Bar charts: show the start time and duration of each operation in the current plan. planned vs. actual times also can be viewed.
- Status monitoring of current plan: Graphically track the actual job screen, as it happens
- Call external programs: Generate email alerts from within TWS/Graph for pagers, cell phones, PDAs, etc.
- TWS data integration: flowcharts Maestro
- Cross-platform support: supports z/OS and distributed TWS environments.
Now available in Version 5.1, TWS/Graph features a number of key enhancements:
- Critical path Monitoring functionality using milestones was first introduced in TWS/Graph Version 5.0. Version 5.1 offers an alternative method to monitor the critical path—via operation deadlines, which are defined in the application description. Users can choose which method is most effective for their site.
- Operation deadlines are not always defined correctly in the application description, but it is often necessary to see how much longer a job will run. TWS/Graph 5.1 offers a new function called calculate Remaining Duration. If the remaining duration exceeds the specified late time, TWS/Graph indicates “Late” in its status monitor.
- the “OR” operand can now be used to refine searches and reports.
- All TWS fields are supported.
- In time fields, the seconds are now displayed (where available in TWS).
- Instead of a fixed date, “Yesterday,” “today” and “tomorrow” can now be used in all date fields.
- TWS/Graph Version 5.1 now allows all or only active applications to be shown for reporting.
- “Ignore error Jobs” can now be used to refine reports.
With thousands of users at hundreds of locations across the globe, TWS/Graph is a well-established and deservedly popular solution for z/OS and distributed TWS environments—and its new functionality makes it even more powerful and easy to use. Available as a 30-day free trial, TWS/Graph Version 5.1 is well worth exploring for production planning, project groups (consolidations, migrations, D-R), test groups, quality assurance, applications groups, or any team that would benefit from improved graphics, flowcharting, cross-referencing, and self-documentation of the TWS scheduling system. Z