IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for CICS on z/OS V5.1 is the latest release of IBM's flagship monitoring product for CICS Transaction Server (CICS TS). This new release contains numerous enhancements designed to perform problem determination diagnostic tasks and facilitate corrective actions quickly and easily.
Key features and benefits include:
• A new compact, customizable, cross-product 3270-based user interface that integrates and displays data from multiple OMEGAMON monitoring agents
• CICSplex-level monitoring
• Lower-cost monitoring of Service Level Agreement (SLA) performance through offloading to System z Integrated Information Processors (zIIPs)
• Improved time-to-value through the simplification of configuration tooling
• Reduced time to apply maintenance with support for self-describing agents.
Many of these features also apply to other products delivered as part of the Tivoli OMEGAMON portfolio in 2012 and signal a statement of direction to provide an integrated monitoring infrastructure that reduces the time to fix real-time incidents.
Enhanced 3270 User Interface
At the core of the new release of the OMEGAMON portfolio is the enhanced 3270 user interface (e3270ui). This compact, customizable user interface runs in its own address space and combines extensive 64-bit storage utilization with the 31-bit VTAM session manager from the existing OMEGAMON product suite. Many of the components in this address space are eligible to be offloaded to a zIIP processor. It can also auto-discover the IBM Tivoli Monitoring environment it’s working with, which dramatically reduces the time-to-value cost of deploying and maintaining the environment.
There’s no need to deploy the e3270ui address space on each Logical Partition (LPAR) and sub-system the customer is monitoring. The new interface can drive data collection requests to any connected OMEGAMON agent, meaning that one screen can contain data collected from multiple products. The initial release supports OMEGAMON XE on z/OS and OMEGAMON XE for CICS on z/OS products, with other agents to follow. Through a single 3270 session, in a single address space, the user can view data across the enterprise and track issues as they cross sub-system boundaries.
Figure 1 shows the initial “Enterprise Summary” workspace of the e3270ui. There are two sub-panels in this workspace. The top sub-panel, “All Active Sysplexes,” shows details about all monitored z/OS systems collected by OMEGAMON XE on z/OS agents. The bottom sub-panel, “All Active CICSplexes,” shows details about all monitored CICS regions grouped into CICSplexes collected by OMEGAMON XE for CICS on z/OS agents.
Each supported OMEGAMON product provides a set of predefined workspaces and navigation links between them, letting the user move between panels in context with a single keystroke. Emphasis was placed on the workspace design and navigation to help users quickly identify the root cause of a problem. The e3270ui provides several other functions that accelerate problem identification and resolution:
• Thresholds, which alert the user that key metrics have reached a predefined value
• Filtering of data in tables, which reduces the amount of information collected and displayed
• The ability to issue actions directly against the sub-system in the user interface using a single keystroke
• Fast searching for resources across the CICSplex using the “FIND” command.