• Support de-duplication and local and remote backup locations
• Support open systems
• Integrate Tier 2 (backup) and Tier 3 (long-term storage, compliance and archive) technologies into a common platform.
Virtual tape (disk only, no physical tapes) capabilities let you:
• Use a VTL, which is a disk array virtualized to appear to the operating system as tape drives and library (no physical tapes or library)
• Improve performance for the backup and recovery application because a tape mount isn’t required
• Leave existing backup software procedures intact, simplifying implementation
• Support de-duplication and local and remote backup locations via VTLs
• Use host-based virtual tape (because disk-only VTL is just emerging for mainframes).
Storage Virtualization Extends to Open Systems